Medea+OP1-BP & Medea Original Analogue Boards.
Although the latest Weiss Medea+ looks very similar (some may say it is even the same) as the original Medea, the biggest different lies on the DAC & Analogue board.
Medea+ & Original Medea DAC/Analogue Boards Differences
|DAC||AD1955 with Mutual Relation Correlation System||ESS9018 32bit with Mutual Relation Correlation System|
|I/V Conversion||Fully Balanced AD797||Fully Balanced 4pc x Discrete OP1-BP mounted on top of DAC chipset|
|Output Stage||Class A Discrete 8 Transistors||Fully Balanced 4pc x Discrete OP1-BP|
|Output Level||Max. +27dBu (17.35v RMS)||Max. +27dBu (17.35V RMS)|
|Backpanel trimmer||High/Low ; Front Panel 19 turns trimmers||-4dBu (0.49v) to +27dBu in 1dB steps|
|Analogue Topology||AD797(I/V) + Class A Transistors||Fully Discrete/Balanced OP1-BPs x 8pc|
|Heat Sink||2 Large heat sinks L/R (very hot)||Each Op1-BP independent + 4 output OP1-BPs on 2 larger heat sinks|
|SNR||117dB A-weight||132dB A-weighted|
|Front Panel||4 inputs select buttons & 2 trimmers||4 inputs select buttons & no trimmers|
|Digital Inputs||4 AES/EBU, 3 SPDIF, 1 Toslink||2 AES/EBU, 3 SPDIF, 1 Firewire, 1 ST Optical|
|Computer Source||No (Upgradable)||Yes (Firewire IEE1394)|
|Remote Control||No (Upgradable)||Yes (for Firewire Input)|
|DSP||Sharc 40bit DSP||Sharc 40bit DSP|
|DSP Blocks||Upsampling / Dejittering||Upsampling / Dejittering|
|Up-sampling||DSP 2x : Oversampling 4x||DSP 2x : Oversampling 4x|
|Sampling rates||352.8kHz (44.1kHz)||352.8kHz (44.1kHz)|
Millions dollar question: Why their outlooks are so similar but big differences inside?
Answer: Medea(Medea+) is Weiss flagship DAC, We want it to have a very long life span.
Question: Almost 12 years are not long enough, are you serious ?
Answer: We are very serious, and all features are upgradable.
1) DSP & Digital Input Board
- First Generation: Dual AES only for 176.4/192kHz
- Second Generation: Single & Dual AES are supported for 176.4/192kHz
- Myth: Dual AES sounds better than signal hi-speed AES because it uses 2 AES cables
- Truth: Dual AES appeared before AES/EBU specification accepts single hi-speed at 192kHz. It has nothing to do with two is better than one. Single AES is better because it is simple, save 2nd AES cable and input phase matching.
- Original Medea. Designed in 1999, still a classic.
- Medea+OP1-BP: Designed in 2011, State Of The Art.
- Fully upgradable by replacing the entire DAC/Analogue board with the latest Medea+OP1-BP Board
- Local distributor/reseller is capable to perform this upgrade.
- Fully upgradable for compute source playback and ST Optical input for Jason ST Optical connection
- This requires send back to Switzerland Weiss headquarter for upgrade
- Upgrade includes Firewire IEE1394 volume/phase remote control & RF receiver set
- Upgrade includes single way shipping fee from Switzerland headquarter back to user address after the upgrade.